Sunday, March 27, 2011

In Search of Serenity

I used to go for an elocution class when i was small, i think i was 7yrs or something. I can`t remember the exact place, i know it was in Modera. There was a church across the road, after each class i stood there with my mom for the bus, watching all the ppl who went to the church. For me it seems so big; maybe bcz i was so small, like it was up in a mountain.The church was in fact in a higher ground, had to climb a couple of stairs to get to the church. Anyway there was such a mystical feeling to it, i used to stare at the building wondering what it would be like inside. I never got to go there, since we`re Buddhists my mom wouldn`t let me go inside. Lately all i wanna do is go there and feel that sense of calmness i felt all those years ago. I even tried to google the churches in that area just to see a picture of that church. I hope its not surrounded with buildings now, i hope it hasn`t changed much, after almost two decades. Going to the temple hasn`t done much to me, it was just too crowded and i just didn`t feel that sense of serenity i was hoping to feel by going to the temple.

I try to find comfort in songs, usually gets my mind off things and makes me feel a bit better. There`s one particular song that i always listen to when i wanna run away and hide, Dare you to move by Switchfoot. I need to start listening to it again.

5 comments:

  1. Sigh. I am looking for such a place myself ... listening to songs can be a poor substitute at times ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. GS-Yeah, its hard to find a place like that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I know the Church you are referring it. It is on Aluthmawatha Rd, (or possibly one of the branches of the road). It is right by the roadside and is a very impressive building.

    I don't know the name either but I think its St James or perhaps St Lucia's cathedral:

    See if these ring a bell:

    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.147613211941174.22150.120314148004414

    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.130677886977973.15238.106875112691584

    http://www.archdioceseofcolombo.com/news.php?id=582

    Some of the other churches in the area:

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Modera/147210238627328


    That said, Christ Church Galle Face (next to Holiday Inn), St Andrews (just before the Cinnamon Grand, when heading from Galle Face) are quite pretty buildings that are worth strolling around.

    There are some addresses here:

    http://www.lankaholidayguide.com/Churches-in-Sri-Lanka.php

    Have a look and see, the nice old churches are worth exploring purely for historical and architectural reasons alone (Dee and Delilah wanted to do a tour), I hope you can rediscover some inner peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JP - Thank you so much:-) i checked the pic, its St.James church..i will definitely checkout the other ones you mentioned.thanx again..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to be of service.

    If you like good music, it is worth dropping into St Michaels' Colpetty (also called 'Gal Palliya') next Tuesday, the Copenhagen Royal Chapel Choir (which is supposed to be very good) will be signing for evening service. The church is rather pretty as well.

    Copenhagen Royal Chapel Choir

    Will be singing at the Evening Service

    at

    St Michael's and All Angel's Polwatte, Colombo 3

    on Tuesday 3rd May

    at 6pm


    ALL ARE WELCOME

    ReplyDelete

Classroom to Learn Lessons or a Cosmic Joke?

  Same old unconscious patterns Same old drama you are too familiar with Same old manipulators pulling strings, thinking you can't see t...